Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty

I'm not sure what "A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty's purpose really is but what I did get out of it is a sense of how it was being an old African American woman in the 1900s. All the people she encountered seemed to treat her like a child that they could just be amused by. Also when she asked the lady in the street to help her tie her shoes, the lady seemed very rude and impatient. I enjoyed reading about a woman so determined to help her grandson get medicine. Phoenix was a good metaphor of how the woman prevailed every time she fell on her way through the forest. When Phoenix was speaking to the nurse, I got the sense that everyone knows her grandson is dead except Phoenix. When you told the class that some people think her grandson is already dead but the old lady can't realize it or come to grip with it, I was very amused because I thought the same when I read the ending.

1 comment:

J OBrien said...

It seems you figured out the purpose of the story after all.