Tuesday, December 16, 2008
"The Man in the Black Suit" by Stephen King
This story is a homage to Nathaniel Hawthorne's story "Young Goodman Brown". I enjoyed reading the story right after reading the other. They are both about battling "the devil" in the flesh. I enjoyed King's vivid imagination of a story a friend told him about him meeting the devil. I think King portrayed a young, smart boy extremely well. I think I'd act the same way as a child if I saw a man that ate fish raw and had red eyes. The boy was extremely scared but at the same time knew he had to play it smart to stay alive. When the devil told the boy his mother was dead everything changed. He could not believe it but at the same time thought it was true. He ran for all his might. I think the running from the devil is like going getting away from evil and doing good in his life. In young goodman brown it was his wife faith and in this story it was the young child's mother. Once the child actually gets away he runs to his father. I like that his father actually believed him and went back to the place where he met the devil and inspected it. He smelled burnt grass and saw that there was no fish that he caught. The dad actually believed his young son. In the end everything worked out perfectly and gave a little scare to the boy and father that there is evil out there and to have faith.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment